Sunday, November 17, 2013

At the Music Hall: “I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now,” 1909



Billy Murray
I wonder who's kissing her now, 
I wonder who's teaching her how, 
Wonder who's looking into her eyes, 
Breathing sighs, telling lies; 
I wonder who's buying the wine, 
For lips that I used to call mine. 
I wonder if she ever tells him of me, 
I wonder who's kissing her now.

In 1909, in the musical The Prince of Tonight, a new song was introduced which would soon take its place amongst the most popular music of the early Twentieth Century. I Wonder Who’s Kissing Her Now became a music hall favorite and was a poignant reminder to the men who’d gone to fight in World War I that their young ladies might be finding comfort in other arms.

The music was written by Joseph E. Howard and Harold Orlob, and the lyrics were written by Will M. Hough and Frank R. Adams. Enjoy this 1909 recording by the famed Billy Murray as played on a Victor II Gramophone.



No comments: