Friday, June 22, 2012

Mr. Punch's Puzzles: The Riddle of the Week











Once, again, Mr. Punch, with my help, is offering up a true Victorian riddle.  The first person to answer correctly--by posting in the comments--will receive public congratulations.  

So, here's this week's riddle.  We ask that you don't Google the answer.  Mr. Punch would not find that sporting at all.  Give it a shot and see what you can come up with.  Here we go... No cheating...


Sometimes I have sense, sometimes I have none;
Sometimes I offend, then you bid me begone;
Sometimes I am merry, sometimes I am sad;
Sometimes I am good, sometimes very bad;
However, to make me, I cost many brains,
Much labour, much thought, and a great deal of pains.



UPDATE:


And, the answer is...


A BOOK.


I think this was a fun one.  Sorry for all the words, Angelo.  Special mention goes to the answers of Darcy, Marsha and Shawn for creativity and to Dashwood, April and Sam P. for sheer silliness.  As always, many thanks to everyone who answered.  And, again, come back next friday for another of Mr. Punch's Puzzles.  








Mr. Punch wants you to always know “the way to do it,” so why not check out our “That’s the way to do it!” products which are available only at our online store?

27 comments:

April said...

Me. I am the answer. Koookoookachoooooo.

Joseph Crisalli said...

If you insist. But, are you sure you aren't Mrs. Robinson? Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes?

Sam P said...

This may be April, but I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob.

Joseph Crisalli said...

So, that's how it's going to go today? Okay...well, I'm Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

Darcy said...

A Soap Opera character and its evil twin.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Oh! I like that one, Darcy. Clever! I like that better than the original answer.

Carolyn said...

I adore Darcy's answer of course. I shan't even offer another.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, thank you, Carolyn.

Angelo said...

Too many words dude. I like the one line ones.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Brevity, thy name is "Angelo."

Barb said...

Is it a magic trick?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Interesting thinking, Barb.

Dashwood said...

It is the pursuit of a really fine hangover.

Marsha said...

Is it a painting?

Joseph Crisalli said...

Close.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Close to both Marsha and Dashwood. Ha!

Kathy said...

Whatever it is, it's something zombies want.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Oh...because it "costs many brains."

Beth Ann said...

Marriage?

Joseph Crisalli said...

From walruses to hangovers to zombies to marriage. Interesting.

Shawn said...

I think it has to be a child...though I don't know how a child costs many brains, I do know that there is labor involved. Plus I've been around many children who were, indeed, very bad and needed to begone! :)

Joseph Crisalli said...

Some say that tne answer is like a child. Good thinking, Shawn.

Gene said...

Money?

Joseph Crisalli said...

That's also a clever interpretation, but not what I was going for.

Barry said...

Is it love?

Joseph Crisalli said...

A sensible answer, Barry

Mark said...

Mr. Punch is too smart for me.