Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Object of the Day: A Souvenir of the Coronation that Never Happened, 1937

Of course, I do have a slight advantage over the rest of you. It helps in a pinch to be able to remind your bride that you gave up a throne for her.
--King Edward VIII/The Duke of Windsor, 1938

Oh, he was a caution. So, we all know what happened when King Edward VIII succeeded his late father, George V. The one-time Prince of Wales was more interested in good times with Wallis Simpson than he was with the Crown. And, of course, we all know that he never reached his coronation, instead the date being used for the coronation of Edward’s brother, “Bertie” who became King George VI.

As I’ve said before, King Edward VIII souvenirs are rather hard to come by. The majority of them were destroyed to make way for George VI souvenirs. The ones that do survive had already been purchased by families eager to show their support for the new King and their enthusiasm about a national event.

In collecting Royal souvenirs, I’ve seen many cups, beakers, mugs, saucers and plates. I’ve also seen shaving mugs, tea pots, trading cards, biscuit jars, medals, linens and paperweights. But, for some reason, I’ve never seen a bowl before—until this past weekend when I was given this very charming bowl, simply marked, “Made in England”, from 1937 for the coronation that didn’t happen.

I’m guessing that this is actually a child’s feeding bowl. I base that on the depth of the vessel and it’s height. Of course, when I saw it, I declared to my mother and father, “Look, it’s an Edward VIII dog dish.” That somehow seemed fitting, but also unlikely. Whatever it is, I’m quite tickled by it, and its joined the dozens of other Royal souvenirs which pepper my study.

No comments: